    SubjectRe: more git updates..
    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:38:00 -0700 (PDT) Linus Torvalds wrote:

    | On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Paul Jackson wrote:
    | >
    | > Useful explanation - thanks, Linus.
    |
    | Hey. You're welcome. Especially when you create good documentation for
    | this thing.
    |
    | Because:
    |
    | > Is this picture and description accurate:
    |
    | [ deleted, but I'll probably try to put it in an explanation file
    | somewhere ]
    |
    | Yes. Excellent.
    |
    | > Minor question:
    | >
    | > I must have an old version - I got 'git-0.03', but
    | > it doesn't have 'checkout-cache', and its 'read-tree'
    | > directly writes my working files.
    |
    | Yes. Crappy old tree, but it can still read my git.git directory, so you
    | can use it to update to my current source base.

    Please go into a little more detail about how to do this step...
    that seems to be the most basic concept that I am missing.
    i.e., how to find the "latest/current" tree (version/commit)
    and check it out (read-tree, checkout-cache, etc.).

    Even if I use Pasky's tools, I'd like to understand this step.

    | However, from a usability angle, my source-base really has been
    | concentrating _entirely_ on just the plumbing, and if you actually want a
    | faucet or a toilet _conntected_ to the plumbing, you're better off with
    | Pasky's tree, methinks:
    |
    | > How do I get a current version? Well, one way I see,
    | > and that's to pick up Pasky's:
    | >
    | > http://pasky.or.cz/~pasky/dev/git/git-pasky-base.tar.bz2
    | >
    | > Perhaps that's the best way?
    |
    | Indeed. He's got a number of shell scripts etc to automate the boring
    | parts.

    ---
    ~Randy

      Last update: 2005-04-11 17:53    [W:0.023 / U:64.160 seconds]