    SubjectRe: Re: [ANNOUNCE] git-pasky-0.1
    Dear diary, on Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 07:45:12PM CEST, I got a letter
    where Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> told me that...

    > > > it seems from the numbers that your system doesnt have enough RAM for
    > > > this and is getting IO-bound?
    > >
    > > Not the only problem, without I/O, he will go down to 4m8s (u+s) which
    > > is still in the same order of magnitude.
    >
    > probably not the only problem - but if we are lucky then his system was
    > just trashing within the kernel repository and then most of the overhead
    > is the _unnecessary_ IO that happened due to that (which causes CPU
    > overhead just as much). The dominant system time suggests so, to a
    > certain degree. Maybe this is wishful thinking.

    It turns out to be the forks for doing all the cuts and such what is
    bogging it down so awfully (doing diff-tree takes 0.48s ;-). I do about
    15 forks per change, I guess, and for some reason cut takes a long of
    time on its own.

    I've rewritten the cuts with the use of bash arrays and other smart
    stuff. I somehow don't feel comfortable using this and prefer the
    old-fashioned ways, but it would be plain unusable without this.

    Now I'm down to

    real 1m21.440s
    user 0m32.374s
    sys 0m42.200s

    and I kinda doubt if it is possible to cut this much down. Almost no
    disk activity, I have almost everything cached by now, apparently.

    Anyway, you can git pull to get the optimized version.

    Thanks for the help,

    --
    Petr "Pasky" Baudis
    Stuff: http://pasky.or.cz/