    SubjectFree Linux-like kernel sources for x86-64
    Do you pine for the nice days of Linux-1.1, when men were men and wrote
    their own device drivers? Are you without a nice project and just dying
    to cut your teeth on a OS you can try to modify for your needs? Are you
    finding it frustrating when everything works on Linux? No more all-
    nighters to get a nifty program working? Then this post might be just
    for you :-)

    I'm working on a free version of a Linux-lookalike for x86-64 computers.
    It has finally reached the stage where it's even usable (though may not be
    depending on what you want), and I am willing to put out the sources for wider
    distribution. It is just version 0.02 (+1 (very small) patch already), but
    I've successfully run bash/gcc/gnu-make/gnu-sed/compress etc under it.

    Sources for this pet project of mine can be found at
    The directory also contains some README-file and a couple of binaries to work under
    Davix[*] (bash, update and gcc, what more can you ask for :-).

    Full kernel source is provided. The system is able to compile "as-is" and
    has been known to work. Heh.
    Sources to the binaries (bash and gcc) can be found at the same place in

    ALERT! WARNING! NOTE! These sources still need Linux to be compiled
    (and gcc-4.0, possibly 3.x, haven't tested), and you need Linux to
    set it up if you want to run it, so it is not yet a standalone system
    for those of you without Linux. I'm working on it. You also need to be
    something of a hacker to set it up (?), so for those hoping for an
    alternative to Linux-x86-64, please ignore me. It is currently meant for
    hackers interested in operating systems and x86-64's with access to Linux.

    The system needs an AT-compatible harddisk (IDE is fine) and EGA/VGA. If
    you are still interested, please ftp the README/RELNOTES, and/or mail me
    for additional info.

    I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
    out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got
    Linux. This is a program for hackers by a hacker. I've enjouyed doing
    it, and somebody might enjoy looking at it and even modifying it for
    their own needs. It is still small enough to understand, use and
    modify, and I'm looking forward to any comments you might have.

    I'm also interested in hearing from anybody who has written any of the
    utilities/library functions for Linux. If your efforts are freely
    distributable (under copyright or even public domain), I'd like to hear
    from you, so I can add them to the system. I'm using Ulrich Dreppers glibc
    right now (thanks for a nice and working system Uli), and similar works
    will be very wellcome. Your (C)'s will of course be left intact. Drop me
    a line if you are willing to let me use your code.

    [*] Yes, the name sucks, but its all some other guys fault.

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.023 / U:0.072 seconds]