    SubjectRe: inconsistent kallsyms data [2.6.11-mm2]
    Paulo Marques wrote:
    > [...]
    > Can you send me privately a tar.bz2 containing your .config,
    > .tmp_kallsyms1.S and .tmp_kallsyms2.S so I can try to figure out what's
    > going on?

    Ok, after some investigation into the files I was able to find out the

    scripts/kallsyms.c uses a subset of the symbol table to optimize the
    tokens to use to compress the symbols. It does this because using the
    complete set of symbols would be much slower without a significant gain
    in compression.

    For some reason, in the files sent by Dominik, two aliased symbols
    change places from the first to the second step of the kallsyms build
    process (__sched_text_start, __down).

    Because of this, the subset used for optimization is different and so
    are the tokens selected, producing a 2 byte difference in the total size
    of the compressed symbol names :P

    So I must change the sampling algorithm in a way that is robust to
    symbol position changes.

    A simple and robust way is to do the sampling on a list of symbols
    sorted by symbol name. This way, even if the symbol positions that are
    given to scripts/kallsyms change, the symbols sampled will be the same.

    I'll do the patch to do this and send it ASAP.

    Paulo Marques -

    Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.022 / U:2.120 seconds]