    SubjectRe: [RFC] ext3/jbd race: releasing in-use journal_heads

    On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 21:11, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > > I'm having trouble testing it, though --- I seem to be getting livelocks
    > > in O_DIRECT running 400 fsstress processes in parallel; ring any bells?
    > Nope. I dont think anyone has been that cruel to ext3 for a while.
    > I assume this workload used to succeed?

    I think so. I remember getting a lockup a couple of months ago that I
    couldn't get to the bottom of and that looked very similar, so it may
    just be a matter of it being much more reproducible now. But I seem to
    be able to livelock the directIO bits in minutes now, quite reliably.
    I'll try to narrow things down.

    altgr-scrlck is showing a range of EIPs all in ext3_direct_IO->
    invalidate_inode_pages2_range(). I'm seeing

    as by far the most common trace, but also

    and a few other similar paths.

    invalidate_inode_pages2_range() does do a cond_resched(), so the machine
    carries on despite having 316 fsstress tasks in system-mode R state at
    the moment. :-) The scheduler is doing a rather impressive job.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.021 / U:73.732 seconds]