Subject[ANNOUNCE 0/6] Open-iSCSI High-Performance Initiator for Linux
This is to announce Open-iSCSI project: High-Performance iSCSI Initiator
for Linux.

MOTIVATION
==========

Our initial motivations for the project were: (1) implement the right
user/kernel split, and (2) design iSCSI data path for performance. Recently
we added (3): get accepted into the mainline kernel.

As far as user/kernel, the existing iSCSI initiators bloat the kernel with
ever-growing control plane code, including but not limited to: iSCSI
discovery, Login (Authentication and Operational), session and connection
management, connection-level error processing, iSCSI Text, Nop-Out/In, Async
Message, iSNS, SLP, Radius... Open-iSCSI puts the entire control plane in
the user space. This control plane talks to the data plane via well defined
interface over the netlink transport.

(Side note: prior to closing on the netlink we considered: sysfs, ioctl, and
syscall. Because the entire control plane logic resides in the user space,
we needed a real bi-directional transport that could support asynchronous
API to transfer iSCSI control PDUs: Login, Logout, Nop-in, Nop-Out, Text,
Async Message.

Performance.
This is the major goal and motivation for this project. As it happens, iSCSI
has to compete with Fibre Channel, which is a more entrenched technology in
the storage space. In addition, the "soft" iSCSI implementation have to show
good results in presence of specialized hardware offloads.

Our today's performance numbers are:

- 450MB/sec Read on a single connection (2-way 2.4Ghz Opteron, 64KB block size);

- 320MB/sec Write on a single connection (2-way 2.4Ghz Opteron, 64KB block
size);

- 50,000 Read IOPS on a single connection (2-way 2.4Ghz Opteron, 4KB block
size).

Prior to starting from-scratch the data path code we did evaluate the sfnet
Initiator. And eventually decided against patching it. Instead, we reused
its Discovery, Login, etc. control plane code. Technically, it was the
shortest way to achieve the (1) and (2) goals stated above. We believe that
it remains the easiest and the most practical thing on the larger scale of:
iSCSI for Linux.

STATUS
======

There's a 100% working code that interoperates with all (count=5) iSCSI
targets we could get our hands on.

The software was tested on AMD Opteron (TM) and Intel Xeon (TM).

Code is available online via either Subversion source control database or
the latest development release (i.e., the tarball containing Open-iSCSI
sources, including user space, that will build and run on kernels starting
2.6.10).

http://www.open-iscsi.org

Features:

- highly optimized and small-footprint data path;
- multiple outstanding R2Ts;
- thread-less receive;
- sendpage() based transmit;
- zero-copy header processing on receive;
- no data path memory allocations at runtime;
- persistent configuration database;
- SendTargets discovery;
- CHAP;
- DataSequenceInOrder=No;
- PDU header Digest;
- multiple sessions;
- MC/S (note: disabled in the patch);
- SCSI-level recovery via Abort Task and session re-open.

TODO
====

The near term plan is: test, test, and test. We need to stabilize the
existing code, after 5 months of development this seems to be the right
thing to do.

Other short-term plans include:

a) process community feedback, implement comments and apply patches;
b) cleanup user side of the iSCSI open interface; use API calls (instead of
directly constructing events);
c) eliminate runtime control path memory allocations (for Nop-In, Nop-Out,
etc.);
d) implement Write path optimizations (delayed because of the self-imposed
submission deadline);
e) oProfile the data path, use the reports for further optimization;
f) complete the readme.

Comments, code reviews, patches - are greatly appreciated!

THANKS
======

Special thanks to our first reviewers: Christoph Hellwig and Mike Christie.

Special thanks to Ming Zhang for help in testing and for insightful questions.

Regards,

Alex Aizman & Dmitry Yusupov

The following 6 patches alltogether represent the Open-iSCSI Initiator:

Patch 1:
SCSI LLDD consists of 3 files:
- iscsi_if.c (iSCSI open interface over netlink);
- iscsi_tcp.[ch] (iSCSI transport over TCP/IP).

Patch 2:
Common header files:
- iscsi_if.h (iSCSI open interface over netlink);
- iscsi_proto.h (RFC3720 #defines and types);
- iscsi_ifev.h (user/kernel events).

Patch 3:
drivers/scsi/Kconfig changes.

Patch 4:
drivers/scsi/Makefile changes.

Patch 5:
include/linux/netlink.h changes (added new protocol NETLINK_ISCSI)

Patch 6:
Documentation/scsi/iscsi.txt

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.055 / U:0.136 seconds]