    SubjectRe: [RFQ] Rules for accepting patches into the linux-releases tree
    On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:21:46PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:

    > Anything else anyone can think of? Any objections to any of these?
    > I based them off of Linus's original list.

    Are these 100% fixed rules or just guidelines you use?

    An example that doesn't fit:

    A patch of me to remove an unused function was accepted into 2.6.11 .
    Today, someone mailed that there's an external GPL'ed module that uses
    this function.

    A patch to re-add this function as it was in 2.6.10 does not fulfill
    your criteria, but it is a low-risk way to fix a regression compared to
    2.6.10 .

    > thanks,
    >
    > greg k-h
    >
    > ------
    >
    > Rules on what kind of patches are accepted, and what ones are not, into
    > the "linux-release" tree.
    >
    > - It can not bigger than 100 lines, with context.
    > - It must fix only one thing.
    > - It must fix a real bug that bothers people (not a, "This could be a
    > problem..." type thing.)
    > - It must fix a problem that causes a build error (but not for things
    > marked CONFIG_BROKEN), an oops, a hang, or a real security issue.
    > - No "theoretical race condition" issues, unless an explanation of how
    > the race can be exploited.
    > - It can not contain any "trivial" fixes in it (spelling changes,
    > whitespace cleanups, etc.)

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.