    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.11.1
    On Saturday 05 March 2005 16:17, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Russell King wrote:
    >> On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 09:40:59AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >> > I love BK, but what BK does well is merging and maintaining
    >> > trees full of good stuff. What BK sucks at is experimental stuff
    >> > where you don't know whether something should be eventually used
    >> > or not.
    >>
    >> Wait a minute - why would stuff going into 2.6.x.y be
    >> "experimental" stuff? Wasn't stability the whole point of this
    >> tree?
    >
    >The point being that _before_ a patch gets accepted, it's in that
    > "limbo" state, waiting for people to veto it or say "yes".
    >
    >That limbo state is not well done with BK.
    >
    > Linus

    What he said! Perfectly good patches, which fix real problems would
    appear to be sitting in testing/broken_out till bit rot or ???.

    If you want a testers testimony, I'm running the bk-ieee1394.patch,
    and all I can say at this point is that it Just Works(TM). I have
    NDI how it got a yesterdays Mar 4) date in the directory listing
    there though, I've had it a bit longer than that by 2-3 days as my
    copy shows a Mar 1 date. I first got it via svn fetch at
    linux-ieee1394.org or some such in January.

    Fixes for real problems that fix real problems should somehow get a
    faster track into final. The current firewire in the kernel as of
    2.6.11 is still badly borked.

    If that diff in the dates means I should update and retest, please
    advise.

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.023 / U:31.624 seconds]