    Thomas Gleixner <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 21:30 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > You cannot have it both ways. Either the kernel needs testers, or it is
    > > "stable". See how these are opposites?
    > I don't see a contradiction.

    There is a *direct* contradition, but it's not important.

    > I don't see that the releases are stable. They are defined stable by
    > proclamation.

    If they were stable we'd release the darn things! *obviously* -rc kernels
    are expected to still have problems.

    -rc just means "please start testing", not "deploy me on your corporate
    database server".

    People are smart enough to know that -rc3 will be less buggy than -rc1.

    And if they're worried about bugs then why are they running -rc's at all?

    > This 2.6.x.y tree will change nothing as long as the underlying problem
    > is not solved.

    What underlying problem? The fact that -rc1 comes a bit too early? Spare
    me, that's just a nothing. Anyone who is testing -rc kernels knows the

    That being said, yes, I agree that we should use 2.4-style -pre and -rc.
    But changing the names of things won't change anything.

    > > It won't help that at all. None of these proposals will increase testing
    > > of tip-of-tree. In fact the 2.6.x proposal may decrease that level of
    > > that testing, although probably not much.
    > > There is no complete answer to all of this, because there are competing
    > > needs. It's a question of balance.
    > A clearly defined switch from -preX to -rc will give the avarage user a
    > clear sign where he might jump in and test.

    The average user has learnt "rc1 == pre1". I don't expect that it matters
    much at all.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.022 / U:185.432 seconds]