    On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > In other words: I'm talking about scalability of development, not about
    > fixing every single serious bug. I think this one will catch the
    > embarrassing brown-paper-bag kinds of things, and maybe 90% of the "duh,
    > we had this race forever, but we never even realized", but it wouldn't
    > solve the ones where we had "damn, we did the locking wrong".

    Btw, I also think that this means that the sucker-tree should never aim to
    be a "2.6.x.y" kind of release tree. If we do a "2.6.x.y" release, the
    sucker tree would be _included_ in that release (and it may indeed be all
    of it - most of the time it probably would be), but we should not assume
    that "2.6.x.y" _has_ to be just the sucker tree.

    We might want to release a "2.6.x.y" that contains a patch that is too big
    or too intrusive (or otherwise controversial) to really be valid in the

    And I'd want that to be very much explicit in the "charter" for the
    sucker-tree. Exactly because the whole point (to me, at least) is to make
    it _easy_ to maintain. There should never be any discussion at all about
    patches: either they are universally loved, or they are not. And if the
    sucker-tree is seen as a 2.6.x.y release tree, then that will _inevitably_
    mean that people will start discussing whether one patch or the other is
    supposed to go in.

    My personal gut feeling is that 90% of the patches I _ever_ see are
    "obvious". If we also cut them down to "must fix an oops/hang/roothole", I
    think we'll actually get quite far with a sucker tree. We'll never get all
    the way, but exactly because the tree wouldn't _try_ to get all the way,
    it would be a lot easier to maintain.

    And let's face it, just getting 50% of the way and having somethign that
    catches the brown-paper-bag stuff so that nobody else every needs to worry
    about them is really worthwhile.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.021 / U:34.416 seconds]