    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] unexport complete_all
    On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 03:15:04 -0800, Andrew Morton <> wrote:
    > Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Andrew, what is the policy for adding exports for out of tree GPL code?
    > >
    > There isn't one. Such things cause way too much email.

    Lack of policy causes the same thing (ie. this thread).

    > What complete_all() does is to permit more than one task to wait on a
    > completion and for all those tasks to be woken by a single complete().
    > Without it you'd need to record how many tasks are sleeping there and do
    > complete() that many times.
    > So it's a sensible part of the completion API from a regularity-of-the-API

    This function was already part of in-kernel API, just wasn't exported
    for modules because there were no in-kernel users.

    > POV. We use it in the coredump code and I don't think we'd be likely to want
    > to rip it out.

    OK, I understand that the unwritten policy is the following:
    symbols for out-of-tree code used by OSDL are fine. 8)

    > In fact, I'd say that complete() should have always done it this way...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.025 / U:4.396 seconds]