SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.12-rc1-V0.7.41-07
On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 13:03 +0100, Esben Nielsen wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>

> > * Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Well, here it finally is. There's still things I don't like about it.
> > > But it seems to work, and that's the important part.
> > >
> > > I had to reluctantly add two items to the task_struct. I was hoping
> > > to avoid that. But because of race conditions it seemed to be the only
> > > way.
> >
> > well it's not a big problem, and we avoided having to add flags to the
> > rt_lock structure, which is the important issue.
> >
> I was going to say the opposit. I know that there are many more rt_locks
> locks around and the fields thus will take more memory when put there but
> I believe it is more logical to have the fields there.

It seems logical to be there, but in practicality, it's not.

The problem is that the flags represent a state of the task with respect
to a single lock. When the task loses ownership of a lock, the state of
the task changes. But the the lock has a different state at that moment
(it has a new onwner). Now when it releases the lock, it might give the
lock to another task, and that becomes the pending owner. Now the state
of the lock is the same as in the beginning. But the first task needs to
see this change.

You can still pull this off by testing the state of the lock and compare
it to the current owner, but I too like the fact that you don't increase
the size of the kernel statically. There are a lot more locks in the
kernel than tasks on most systems. And those systems that will have more
tasks than locks, need a lot of memory anyway. So we only punish the
big systems (that expect to be punished) and keep the little guys safe.

-- Steve

  Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.192 / U:0.024 seconds]