    SubjectRe: vfat: why is shortname=lower the default?
    OGAWA Hirofumi wrote:

    >Xuân Baldauf <xuan--2004.03.29--linux-kernel--vger.kernel.org@baldauf.org> writes:
    >

    >>Why is shortname=lower the default mount option for vfat filesystems?
    >>Because, with "shortname=lower", copying one FAT32 filesystem tree to
    >>another FAT32 filesystem tree using Liux results in semantically
    >>different filesystems. (E.g.: Filenames which were once "all
    >>uppercase" are now "all lowercase").
    >>

    >The reason is only it's very long-standing behavior. When this
    >behavior was changed before, it seems an one user was confused at
    >least.

    >Personally I agree that "winnt" or "mixed" is proper.
    >
    >However, if we want to change the default behavior, it would need to
    >be tested for some months, and if anyone has no objection it can
    >change I think.

    One could make a slow transition, starting now with a warning like
    "vfat: warning: You are using "shortname=lower" as default. This may not
    be what you want. This default will change to "shortname=mixed" after
    2005-07-01." if the shortname behaviour is not explicitly selected.

    >Thanks.

    ciao,
    Xuân. :-)

    P.S.: I'm now trying to recover about 4M files from "lost case"...

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.030 / U:92.172 seconds]