    SubjectRe: Can't use SYSFS for "Proprietry" driver modules !!!.
    On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 07:15:01AM -0500, linux-os wrote
    [snip]

    > In the United States there is something called "restraint of trade".
    > Suppose there was a long-time facility or API that got replaced
    > with one that was highly restrictive. To use the new facility, one
    > would have to buy a license or kiss somebody or something that
    > was not previously required. If an action was brought against the
    > person(s) who replaced the old facility with the new one, it
    > is likely that the plaintiff would prevail.

    [snip]

    The key phrase here is 'restraint of /trade/'.
    Noone has been selling these drivers, and nonone's been dealing in
    the right to use or write them. Without being a lawyer (US or otherwise),
    I'd suggest that it's highly unlikely any such legislation would apply.

    E.g.: suppose there are 2 snack bars within 100 yards of a school; one
    is out of sight, across an intersection and down a side street, and one
    is clearly visible across an empty lot. For years the lot has been
    unfenced and, human nature being what it is, kids just walk across the
    open lot. The owner of the lot then decides to put up a high fence
    around it with a combination lock on the gate (now he's raising chinchillas,
    or peaches; he won't say) so all the kids start going to the other snackbar,
    except for a few that he trusts with the combination. It seems to me
    you're suggesting that the snackbar owner who's lost out would have
    an action for restraint of trade; I can't see it myself.

    John.

    [snip]

    --
    Voice: +61 8 8202 9040
    Email: jpearson@oasissystems.com.au

    Oasis Systems Pty Ltd
    288 Glen Osmond Road
    Fullarton, South Australia 5063

    Ph: + 61 8 82029000
    Fax: +61 8 82029001

    CAUTION: This email and any attachments may contain information that is
    confidential and subject to copyright. If you are not the
    intended recipient, you must not read, use, disseminate, distribute or
    copy this email or any attachments. If you have received this
    email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and
    erase this email and any attachments.

    DISCLAIMER: OASIS Systems uses virus-scanning technology but accepts
    no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the
    information transmitted by this email including damage from virus.

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.026 / U:66.024 seconds]