    On March 2, 2005 09:14 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:
    > One doesn't have to be a code monkey to do this 'canary' scene as long
    > as a bash script can be hacked up to do the majority of the work, I
    > have a couple of them that basicly make a new kernel install a no
    > brainer. Often under 30 minutes to being rebooted to a new rc from
    > going after the patch.

    I'm a casual user, and I'm happy to bang on the latest (-mm) kernels
    so long as my data doesn't get corrupted. But the process of
    downloading, patching, configuring, compiling, and installing a new
    kernel is a bit of a pain, requiring user intervention a number of
    times. It's enough that I don't update very often.

    I've just done a bit of looking for scripts to automate the process of
    installing a new kernel, and I haven't come up with much of much. So
    right now I'm writing my own. If there are tools to help automate this
    they need to be more prominent on www.kernel.org and
    www.kernelnewbies.org, to make casual testing even easier.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.019 / U:63.696 seconds]