    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Steven Rostedt wrote:

    > On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 13:24 -0800, David Lang wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think you are understanding the proposal
    >>
    > You're probably right. :-)
    >
    >> 2.6.11.y will be released as 2.6.12 is being developed.
    >>
    >> once 2.6.12 is released (or shortly after that if 2.6.12 ends up being a
    >> _real_ mess) 2.6.11.y will not get any additional releases (2.6.12.y will
    >> get released instead)
    >>
    >> as a result there will be no backports at all. if you want a feature
    >> that's introduced in 2.6.12 then you wait until you get a 2.6.12.y release
    >> that's good enough for you.
    >>
    > I understand the no backports. That's a good thing. That's what I was
    > trying to state (but was probably too long winded!). Lets see if this
    > is what I believe is being proposed.
    >
    > 2.6.x would be the release with some number of features added.
    >
    > 2.6.x.y would include bug fixes only, that are under the strong rule of
    > Linus to only be things that crash/hang the machine or nasty security
    > exploits.
    >
    > 2.6.x+1 would be 2.6.x.(some y) also including features (from -rc or
    > -mm)
    >
    > 2.6.x.z (where z is greater than the above "some y") only include the
    > same level of fixes as with 2.6.x.y, with the parallel work of 2.6.x+1
    > still going on.
    >
    > Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

    this sounds like what I am understanding.

    >> also I think the expectation is that there aren't going to be more then
    >> 2-3 2.6.x.y releases so your comment of people waiting until y>5 won't
    >> apply
    >>

    > Say after 2.6.x.3 has been released and 2.6.x+1 is now out, and someone
    > finds a rare race condition that hangs the machine. A 2.6.x.4 would not
    > be released?

    my understanding is that in general there would no be a 2.6.x.4 in this
    case (special cases can cause rules to be bent, a rare race condition
    probably wouldn't qualify, a remote root security hole probably would)

    > Actually, the >5 was pretty pointless anyway. What I got
    > from talking to people is that they wanted a release that only got fixes
    > that would crash the machine, or cause a root exploit. That's what I
    > thought Linus was trying to say.

    the trouble is that 'crash the machine' can include a HUGE number of the
    fixes that go into 2.6.x+1 and you just lost stability again

    David Lang

    -- C.A.R. Hoare

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:4.094 / U:0.156 seconds]