On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 04:28:52PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:
> >I've watched you periodically announce "hey, I'm doing an update for
> >FC3/FC2, please test" on the mail list, and a handful of people go test.
> >If we could convince many of the the less risk-averse but lazy users to
> >grab kernels automatically from updates/3/testing/ or updates/3/unstable/
> >as part of "yum update", and have a way to manage the plethora of (even
> >daily) kernel updates by removing old unused kernels, then we'd only
> >have to convince them *once* to set up their YUM repos, and then get them
> >to poweroff or reboot [or use a Xen domain] occasionally. :-)
>

> Tangent: I would like to see requests-for-testing for FC kernels on LKML.
>
> If people announce -ac/-as/-aa/-ck/etc. kernels on LKML, why not distro
> kernels?

Debian unstable currently contains only for kernel 2.6.8 (which is AFAIK
still the main kernel in Debian unstable although there are also 2.6.10
sources and 2.6.10 kernel images on some architectures) for eight
different architectures - many of them containing or depending on their
own patches.

How big is the value of a

New 2.6.8-5 s390 kernel images for Debian unstable - please test!

or a

New 2.2.25-4 atari kernel images for Debian unstable - please test!

on LKML?

Note that there are currently 42 (what a number ;-) ) different packages
that build 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6 kernels images in Debian unstable plus the
packages that build the kernel images for the 11 architectures in Debian
stable.
Considering how many other distributions exist, this generates a serious
amount of extra traffic on LKML if a security hole gets fixed that
affects many kernel versions...

> Jeff

cu
Adrian