    Andries Brouwer <aebr@win.tue.nl> wrote:

    > API stability: Stable series like 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 try to maintain
    > the guarantee that user-visible APIs do not change. That goal
    > has disappeared, meaning that anything might break when one
    > upgrades from 2.6.14 to 2.6.16.
    > This is one of the big disadvantages of the new 2.6 way.

    It depends on what you call a "user visible API".

    Changes which are visible to userspace are treated with great caution
    nowadays[*]. I keep on rejecting patches...

    Changes which are visible to third-party kernel modules are more
    acceptable, but we're still fairly reluctant to make them.

    So I think you exaggerate. And I don't see that the problem which you
    describe is inevitably a part of the "new 2.6 way".

    [*] I don't know any details of the /proc incompatibility which davej
    mentions, and I'd like to. That sounds like a screw-up.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.021 / U:32.224 seconds]