SubjectRe: Page fault scalability patch V18: Drop first acquisition of ptl
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, David S. Miller wrote:

> Actually, I guess I could do the pte_cmpxchg() stuff, but only if it's
> used to "add" access. If the TLB miss handler races, we just go into
> the handle_mm_fault() path unnecessarily in order to synchronize.
>
> However, if this pte_cmpxchg() thing is used for removing access, then
> sparc64 can't use it. In such a case a race in the TLB handler would
> result in using an invalid PTE. I could "spin" on some lock bit, but
> there is no way I'm adding instructions to the carefully constructed
> TLB miss handler assembler on sparc64 just for that :-)

There is no need to provide pte_cmpxchg. If the arch does not support
cmpxchg on ptes (CONFIG_ATOMIC_TABLE_OPS not defined)
then it will fall back to using pte_get_and_clear while holding the
page_table_lock to insure that the entry is not touched while performing
the comparison.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.183 / U:0.132 seconds]