    Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > Rene Herman wrote:
    >
    >> Doing -pre and real -rc will get you more testers for -rc. Whether or
    >
    >> Add in the fourth level .k releases for real problematic bugs found
    >> after release as you did with 2.6.8.1, and I believe things should work.
    >
    > Precisely.

    I assume that one of the main problems with doing -pre is that actually
    doing a real -rc isn't much fun -- I can certainly understand that
    sitting around twiddling your thumbs by decree every few weeks is not a
    good model.

    You commented on the .k 4th level releases being an actual branch, BK
    wise. To not let the forced thumb-twiddling -rc period be a problem,
    this branch could happen at -rc1, after which Linus is again free to go
    merge up stuff into mainline for the next one, if he wants to.

    That's to say, I propose Linus doesn't change _anything_ other than
    renaming his -rc's -pre's, and his final -rc1 (well, and making it a
    branch if -final isn't a branch now, sorry, not a clue).

    The -rc branch then just sits there, and if nothing turns up that needs
    an -rc2, it gets released as final, and possibly onto .1, .2 and so on
    if useful or need be.

    Now, coaching that -rc branch from -rc1 through maybe -rcN to -final and
    possibly beyond may not be something Linus wants to do. The -rc branch
    would by definition see _no_ activity other than the really needed so I
    don't believe it would be much of a burden time-wise, but it is in fact
    not unlike what Alan is already doing with -ac. So, if Linus doesn't
    want that job, Alan may? Or someone else?

    Summarising:

    - Linus:

    1) rename 2.6.N-rcX to 2.6.N-preX
    2) when you'd now release, branch off, release as -rc1
    3) go on with 2.6.(N+1)-pre1

    - Linus, Alan, or whoever else wants the job:

    1) release -rc{2,3,...} only if needed.
    2) release 2.6.N
    3) do a 2.6.N.{1,2,...} only if needed.

    Is this sane? The advantage is, real -pre's and -rc's which will get
    more people onboard testing -rc, and hopefully without annoying Linus
    with real no-changing -rc's. How many more, enough or not, remains to be
    seen but certainly more.

    Rene.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.024 / U:2.900 seconds]