    SubjectRe: Kernel OOOPS in 2.6.11.6
    On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 08:12 +0800, Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote:

    > > > I think it is f = kmem_cache_alloc(filp_cachep, GFP_KERNEL); returns an
    > > > invalid pointer, then in memset(f, 0, sizeof(*f)); fault happens at address f.
    > > > eax == 0 is to clear the memory in memset().
    > >
    > > The trace indicates it's in linvfs_open
    > > (EIP: 0060:[linvfs_open+89/160])
    > > and the insturction dump at the end supports that.
    >
    > How to explain:
    > Call Trace: [get_empty_filp+89/208] get_empty_filp+0x59/0xd0 ?

    I like to let you know that this was all I got as dump. Was simply
    trying to copy some stuff from A to B on my harddisk using MC on a XFS
    partition using 2.6.11.6.

    Though I also detected another really strange thing together with this
    issue. On a valid XFS partition (no errors or something) I tried to
    delete about 160 CVS checked out modules (GNOME) and *buff* stuff
    couldn't be deleted anymore but I wasn't aware of this at that moment.
    Seconds later I was trying to copy stuff from A to B as described above
    and this gave me that hit. Luckely the hit caused let me continue using
    the System. I then tried to delete the stuff again and noticed that it
    hadn't deleted the CVS checkout in A) properly and that I copied the
    undeleted stuff to B) as well. I then inserted my own created rescue CD,
    mounted the partition again, and voila was able to delete the stuff
    xfs_repair check on it gave no errors or something.

    Maybe this helps isolating the issue.

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.031 / U:29.728 seconds]