SubjectRe: [RFC] Obtaining memory information for kexec/kdump
Dave Hansen wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 11:19 +0530, Hariprasad Nellitheertha wrote:

> I think there's likely a lot of commonality with the needs of memory
> hotplug systems here. We effectively dump out the physical layout of
> the system, but in sysfs. We do this mostly because any memory hotplug
> changes generate hotplug events, just like all other hardware. If you
> do this in /proc, it's another thing that memory hotplug will have to
> update.

We put it in /proc primarily because what we wanted was
similar in many ways to /proc/iomem and so we (re)use a bit
of the code. Also, we were wondering if it is appropriate to
put in multiple values in a single file in sysfs.

> Also, we already have a concept of active and non-active physical
> memory: we call it online and offline. Some tweaks to the information
> that we export might be all that you need, instead of creating a new
> interface.

Looks like. And the tweaks could be handled by the user
space kexec-tools.

I've attached a document I started writing a couple days ago
> about the sysfs layout and the call paths for hotplug. It's horribly
> incomplete, but not a bad start.
>
> If you want to see some more details of the layout, please check out
> this patch set:
>
> http://www.sr71.net/patches/2.6.12/2.6.12-rc1-mhp1/patch-2.6.12-rc1-mhp1.gz

This does not have the sysfs related code. Is there a
separate patch for adding the sysfs entries?