    SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.12-rc1-V0.7.41-07
    On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 07:37:27AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Ingo Molnar <> wrote:
    > > the 'migrate read count' solution seems more promising, as it would
    > > keep other parts of the RCU code unchanged. [ But it seems to break
    > > the nice 'flip pointers' method you found to force a grace period. If
    > > a 'read section' can migrate from one CPU to another then it can
    > > migrate back as well, at which point it cannot have the 'old' pointer.
    > > Maybe it would still work better than no flip pointers. ]
    > the flip pointer method could be made to work if we had a NR_CPUS array
    > of 'current RCU pointer' values attached to the task - and that array
    > would be cleared if the task exits the read section. But this has memory
    > usage worries with large NR_CPUS. (full clearing of the array can be
    > avoided by using some sort of 'read section generation' counter attached
    > to each pointer)

    The only per-task data you need to maintain is a single pointer to
    the per-CPU counter that was incremented by the outermost rcu_read_lock().
    You also need a global index, call it "rcu_current_ctr_set" (or come
    up with a better name!) along with a per-CPU pair of counters:

    struct rcu_ctr_set { /* or maybe there is a way to drop array */
    atomic_t ctr[2]; /* into DECLARE_PER_CPU() without a struct */
    } /* wrapper... */
    int rcu_curset = 0;
    DEFINE_PER_CPU(struct rcu_ctr_set, rcu_ctr_set) = { 0, 0 };

    You need two fields in the task structure:

    atomic_t *rcu_preempt_ctr;
    int rcu_nesting;

    Then you have something like:

    void rcu_read_lock(void)
    if (current->rcu_nesting++ == 0) {
    current->rcu_preempt_ctr =

    void rcu_read_unlock(void)
    if (--current->rcu_nesting == 0) {
    smb_mb(); /* might only need smp_wmb()... */
    current->rcu_preempt_ctr = NULL; /* for debug */

    One can then force a grace period via something like the following,
    but only if you know that all of the rcu_ctr_set.ctr[!current] are zero:

    void _synchronize_kernel(void)
    int cpu;

    rcu_curset = !rcu_curset;
    for (;;) {
    for_each_cpu(cpu) {
    if (atomic_read(&__get_cpu_var(rcu_ctr_set).ctr[!rcu_curset]) != 0) {
    /* yield CPU for a bit */

    In real life, you need a way to multiplex multiple calls to
    _synchronize_kernel() into a single counter-flip event, by
    setting up callbacks. And so on...

    The above stolen liberally from your patch and from my memories of
    Dipankar's RCU patch for CONFIG_PREEMPT kernels. Guaranteed to have
    horrible bugs. ;-)

    Thanx, Paul

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:30    [W:0.023 / U:9.908 seconds]