    SubjectRe: fork()
    you can limit the max number of processes by putting the following into /etc/security/limits.conf (on my distro, and quite a number of others according to google too)

    * hard nproc <max # processes>

    you can also limit quite a number of other things in this file, and other files in that directory.

    redoubtable wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > I read a document on securityfocus about fork bombinb a linux system.
    > Although they didn't speak about the effectiveness of resource limits I
    > guess that should be discussed because it's possible to make a linux
    > machine extremely slow (compared to FreeBSD for instance) even with well
    > configured resource limits.
    > I revised kernel/fork.c and I found a way to prevent this problem by
    > removing all associated processes with the parent, but that's far from
    > portable and should not be used for the sake of compatibilities. I guess
    > the function fork() should be revised.
    > And what about creating a 'maxprocs' sysctl var (even if left high) when
    > the resource limits problem is fixed? It would help security when it is
    > needed and wouldn't bother other applications. RLIMITs on login are not
    > trustworthy. It should exist a global limit in case someone could spawn
    > a shell without limits through some flawed application.
    >
    > Thanks, and please advise.
    >
    > -

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:30    [W:0.033 / U:30.240 seconds]