    SubjectRe: forkbombing Linux distributions
    On 2005/03/22 12:49, Jan Engelhardt <> wrote:
    > What if the few procs that he may spawn also grab so much memory so
    > your machine disappears in swap-t(h)rashing?

    The number of processes is counted per user, but CPU time and memory
    consumption is counted per process.

    Going around RLIMIT_CPU is too easy by simply forkbombing. This
    renders RLIMIT_CPU unusable.

    The memory limits aren't good enough either: if you set them low
    enough that memory-forkbombs are unperilous for
    RLIMIT_NPROC*RLIMIT_DATA, it's probably too low for serious

    Now what about per-user (or per-session) CPU and memory limits?

    Another idea: RLIMIT_FORK (number of allowed fork() calls in that
    session). While that may not be useful for interactive login sessions,
    I can imagine several situations where it could help (like qmail child

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:30    [W:0.018 / U:37.632 seconds]