    SubjectRe: Real-Time Preemption and RCU
    On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:17:27AM -0800, Bill Huey wrote:
    > > A notion of priority across a quiescience operation is crazy anyways[-,-] so
    > > it would be safe just to use to the old rwlock-semaphore "in place" without
    > > any changes or priorty handling add[i]tions. The RCU algorithm is only concerned
    > > with what is basically a coarse data guard and it isn't time or priority
    > > critical.
    > A little jitter in a quiescence operation isn't going to hurt things right ?.

    The only thing that I can think of that can go wrong here is what kind
    of effect it would have on the thread write blocking against a bunch of
    RCU readers. It could introduce a chain of delays into, say, a timer event
    and might cause problems/side-effects for other things being processed.
    RCU processing might have to decoupled processed by a different thread
    to avoid some of that latency weirdness.

    What do you folks think ?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.019 / U:5.532 seconds]