    SubjectRe: Query: Kdump: Core Image ELF Format
    Hi all.

    On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 18:20 +0530, vivek goyal wrote:
    > Core image ELF headers are prepared before crash and stored at a safe
    > place in memory. These headers are retrieved over a kexec boot and final
    > elf core image is prepared for analysis.

    Regarding the preparation of the ELF headers, I think we should also
    take into consideration hot-plug memory and create appropriate
    mechanisms to deal with it.

    Assuming that both insertion and removal of memory trigger a hotplug
    event that is subsequently handled by the relevant hotplug agent(*), the
    latter could be modified so that, on successful memory onlining,
    additional PT_LOAD headers are created and tucked in a safe place
    together with the others.

    Since ELF headers are to be prepared by kexec a new option could be
    added to it, so that we can call kexec from a hotplug script to carry
    out the aforementioned tasks.

    Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

    (*) The last patches posted by Dave Hansen already support memory
    onlining from an /etc/hotplug script.

    Fernando

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:30    [W:0.022 / U:31.448 seconds]