SubjectRe: 2.6.12-rc1-mm1: Kernel BUG at pci:389
Hi!

> > Yes, but it is needed. There are many drivers, and they look at
> > numerical value of PMSG_*. I'm proceeding in steps. I hopefully killed
> > all direct accesses to the constants, and will switch constants to
> > something else... But that is going to be tommorow (need some sleep).
> The patches are going to acquire correct PCI device sleep state for
> suspend/resume. We discussed the issue several months ago. My plan is we
> first introduce 'platform_pci_set_power_state', then merge the
> 'platform_pci_choose_state' patch after Pavel's pm_message_t conversion
> finished. Maybe Len mislead my comments.
>
> Anyway for the callback, my intend is platform_pci_choose_state accept
> the pm_message_t parameter, and it return an 'int', since platform
> method possibly failed and then pci_choose_state translate the return
> value to pci_power_t.

You can't just retype around like that. You may want it take
pci_power_t * as an argument, and then return 0/-ENODEV or something
like that. But you can't retype between int and pm_message_t...

Plus that function should have a documentation somewhere!

> > Could you just revert those two patches? First one is very
> > wrong. Second one might be fixed, but... See comments below.
> I think the platform_pci_set_power_state should be ok, did you see it
> causes oops?

No its just ugly and uses __force in "creative" way. That one can be
recovered.
Pavel