SubjectRe: 2.6.11-mm2 vs audio for kino and tvtime, now 2.6.12-rc1-mm1
On Monday 21 March 2005 21:56, Andrew Morton wrote:
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
>> tvtime works, no audio glitches in the startup. This is a
>> pcHDTV-3000 card, running in Never Twice Same Color mode as yet.
>>
>> xsane works normally I believe, doing a preview scan ok.
>
>Whew.

:)

>> kino works, but doesn't really want to time share with the much
>> cpu hungrier tvtime, this results a very noticeable lag in the
>> preview video coming in directly from the cameras imager via
>> firewire, and sometimes an outright freeze of 2-3 seconds duration
>> when kmail is makeing a mail fetch run.
>
>Is that unexpected?

No.

>Are there other kernels which you found better
> behaved in this regard? There are CPU scheduler changes in -mm,
> but they're unlikely to affect UP or small SMP.

Only 2.6.12-rc1 is comparable in "feel", and it will take me a while
to reach a conclusion. Stay tuned...

>> spcagui works once I'd reinstalled the spca50x stuff
>>
>> /. pops right up in mozilla-1.7.5, also in firefox
>>
>> Those seem to be the main things of interest right now, to me.
>>
>> Anything else I should specifically check on this UP machine?
>>
>> As I add content to this message, I am occasionally seeing lags
>> between what I type and its showing up on the screen but its
>> certainly better than 2.6.10 or 11 was by quite a ways. This is
>> related to the kino lags in that I believe its kmail's net access
>> that is causeing them.
>
>hm, OK. Is much disk I/O happening during the lags?

Not really, its spamassassins &^%$#@ perl scripts that are eating the
cpu I think.

>> Overall, I don't have any instant squawks Andrew. Looks good,
>> generally feels good. Itches might develop later though. I'm
>> using the cfq scheduler, were there any changes of note there?
>
>Relative to 2.6.121-mm2? Yes, CFQ underwent radical changes.
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are:

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.676 / U:0.000 seconds]