    SubjectRe: 2.6.11-mm2 vs audio for kino and tvtime, now 2.6.12-rc1-mm1
    Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:

    > tvtime works, no audio glitches in the startup. This is a pcHDTV-3000
    > card, running in Never Twice Same Color mode as yet.
    >
    > xsane works normally I believe, doing a preview scan ok.

    Whew.

    > kino works, but doesn't really want to time share with the much cpu
    > hungrier tvtime, this results a very noticeable lag in the preview
    > video coming in directly from the cameras imager via firewire, and
    > sometimes an outright freeze of 2-3 seconds duration when kmail is
    > makeing a mail fetch run.

    Is that unexpected? Are there other kernels which you found better behaved
    in this regard? There are CPU scheduler changes in -mm, but they're
    unlikely to affect UP or small SMP.

    > spcagui works once I'd reinstalled the spca50x stuff
    >
    > /. pops right up in mozilla-1.7.5, also in firefox
    >
    > Those seem to be the main things of interest right now, to me.
    >
    > Anything else I should specifically check on this UP machine?
    >
    > As I add content to this message, I am occasionally seeing lags
    > between what I type and its showing up on the screen but its
    > certainly better than 2.6.10 or 11 was by quite a ways. This is
    > related to the kino lags in that I believe its kmail's net access
    > that is causeing them.

    hm, OK. Is much disk I/O happening during the lags?

    > Overall, I don't have any instant squawks Andrew. Looks good,
    > generally feels good. Itches might develop later though. I'm using
    > the cfq scheduler, were there any changes of note there?

    Relative to 2.6.121-mm2? Yes, CFQ underwent radical changes.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:3.156 / U:0.008 seconds]