SubjectRe: Another drm/dri lockup - when moving the mouse
Roland Scheidegger wrote:

> Helge Hafting wrote:
>
>> I have reported this before, but now I have some more data.
>>
>> I have an office pc with this video card:
>> VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY
>> [Radeon 7000/VE]
>>
>> In previous reports I found that starting xfree or xorg with dri support
>> cause a hang after a little while. It seems that this only happens when
>> the mouse moves. Something I didn't discover before because there
>> are lots of unplanned mouse movements - the thing is sensitive and jumps
>> a pixel now and then when I move stuff on the desk.
>
> What xorg / xfree / drm versions are you talking about?

Any version. It has been like this for years with all versions of xfree
from debian testing,
so I have simply given up using 3D on this particular machine. I also tried
downloading and compiling x.org 6.8.1 to have a look at transparency
and shadows. Transparency worked - dri crashed as usual. At the moment,
I use the debian package xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk which contains the
x.org server (not the xfree one). My current kernel is 2.6.11-mm3.

>> Taking care not to move the mouse, I can start X and run glxgears
>> with acceleration. The slightest mouse movement during 3D activity
>> kills the machine instantly so it only responds to the reset button.
>> Mouse
>> movement without 3D activity may or may not kill the pc.
>>
>> Could there be a problem where 3D-stuff and code to move the mouse
>> "steps on each other toes" somehow? Or some way to test this further,
>> by disabling the mouse or force some kind of software fallback for
>> the mouse cursor?
>
> You could use Option "SWcursor" "true".

Thanks, I'll try that.

> Since it crashes even without 3d sometimes, the problem does not seem
> to be related to dri (as in, dri driver).

Stable as rock, _if_ Load "dri" is commented out from xorg.conf (or
from XF86Config-4)

> Sounds more like it's related to CP activity. Not sure what would
> cause this, there seem to be a lot of mouse cursor movement crashes
> reported lately... Do you have a USB mouse whose controller shares the
> IRQ with the graphic card maybe?

No usb. The mouse is connected to the ps/2 mouse port. As I mentioned,
this is
not a recent problem. I could never load dri on this machine without
such a crash. I can check whether the IRQ gets shared though.

Helge Hafting

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.060 / U:0.464 seconds]