    SubjectRe: OOM problems with 2.6.11-rc4
    On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 16:56 -0500, Sean wrote:
    > On Tue, March 15, 2005 3:44 pm, Noah Meyerhans said:
    > > The machine in question is a dual Xeon system with 2 GB of RAM, 3.5 GB
    > > of swap, and several TB of NFS exported filesystems. One notable point
    > > is that this machine has been running in overcommit mode 2
    > > (/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory = 2) and the OOM killer is still being
    > > triggered, which is allegedly not supposed to be possible according to
    > > the kerneltraffic.org document above. We had been running in overcommit
    > > mode 0 until about a month ago, and experienced similar OOM problems
    > > then as well.
    >
    > We're seeing this on our dual Xeon box too, with 4 GB of RAM and 2GB of
    > swap (no NFS) using stock RHEL 4 kernel. The only thing that seems to
    > keep it from happening is setting /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure to
    > 10000.

    I suspect I hit this too on a smaller (UP) machine with 512MB RAM/512MB
    swap while stress testing RT stuff with dbench and massively parallel
    makes. The OOM seemed to trigger way before the machine filled up swap.
    I dismissed it at the time, but maybe there's something there.

    Lee

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.022 / U:89.756 seconds]