    SubjectRe: [RFC] Changes to the driver model class code.
    Hi Greg,

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:08:34 -0800, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

    > So I'll be slowly converting the kernel over to using this new
    > interface, and when finished, I can get rid of the old class apis (or
    > actually, just make them static) so that no one can implement them
    > improperly again...

    I disagree with this last step. What I liked about the driver model is
    that once you convert (properly) subsystem to using it you
    automatically get your proper refcounting and memory gets released at
    proper time. The change as it proposed disconnects class device
    instance from the meat so separate refcounting implementation
    isneeded. This increases maintenance costs.

    I always viewed class_simple as a stop-gap measure to get hotplug
    events in place until proper implementation is done. Please leave the
    original interface in place so it can still be used if one wshes to do
    so.

    And what about device_driver and device structure? Are they going to
    be changed over to be separately allocated linked objects? If not then
    its enouther reason to keep original class interface - uniformity of
    driver model interface.

    --
    Dmitry