    SubjectRe: User mode drivers: part 1, interrupt handling (patch for 2.6.11)

    Jon> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:47:42 +1100, Peter Chubb
    Jon> <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
    >> What I really want to do is deprivilege the driver code as much as
    >> possible. Whatever a driver does, the rest of the system should
    >> keep going. That way malicious or buggy drivers can only affect
    >> the processes that are trying to use the device they manage.
    >> Moreover, it should be possible to kill -9 a driver, then restart
    >> it, without the rest of the system noticing more than a hiccup. To
    >> do this, step one is to run the driver in user space, so that it's
    >> subject to the same resource management control as any other
    >> process. Step two, which is a lot harder, is to connect the driver
    >> back into the kernel so that it can be shared. Tun/Tap can be used
    >> for network devices, but it's really too slow -- you need zero-copy
    >> and shared notification.

    Jon> Have you considered running the drivers in a domain under Xen?

    See the paper presented by Karlsruhr at OSDI:

    Joshua LeVasseur, Volkmar Uhlig, Jan Stoess, and Stefan Götz:
    Unmodified Device Driver Reuse and Improved System Dependability via
    Virtual Machines. OSDI '04.

    They're using L4, rather than Xen as the paravirtualisation layer.

    --
    Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
    The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*