SubjectRe: [patch] x86: fix ESP corruption CPU bug

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> That said, the "ldt_ss" case should be moved _after_ the conditional
> tests, since most CPU's out there will do static prediction based on
> forward/backwards direction

Btw, Stas, one thing I'd really like to see is even a partial list of
anything that actually cares about this. Ie, if there is some known
Windows app where Wine works better or something like that, just adding
that information to the comments would be hugely appreciated.

Another way of saying the same thing: I absolutely hate seeing patches
that fix some theoretical issue that no Linux apps will ever care about.
So I'd like to have a bit more of a case for this patch, since I know what
the case against it is ;)

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.079 / U:0.308 seconds]