    SubjectRe: User mode drivers: part 2: PCI device handling (patch 1/2 for 2.6.11)
    Here's a two year old patch for doing the same thing inside of UML but
    it was never merged. The advantage to this scheme is that UML
    implements the kernel. The same driver source code can be used inside
    UML and the main kernel.

    I modified UML so that it implemented all of the common calls drivers
    need, like ioremap, request_irq, etc. The UML implementation of these
    calls is a proxy for a device driver in the main kernel that actually
    gets the DMA consistent memory, irq, etc. I was able to get DRM, fbdev
    and USB all running unchanged inside UML with this patch. The entire
    device driver is debugable with GDB.

    I never solved the problem of UML crashing without acking a pending
    interrupt. But now it seems that that problem does not exist on PCI

    BTW, I found this to be a great way to debug drivers that don't need
    real-time response to interrupts.

    Jon Smirl
    [unhandled content-type:application/x-compressed-tar]
     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.021 / U:5.288 seconds]