SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] drivers/pnp/: possible cleanups
On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 16:23 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Adam Belay <abelay@novell.com> wrote:
> >
> > This patch essential makes it impossible for PnP protocols to be
> > modules. Currently, they are all in-kernel. If that is acceptable...,
> > then this patch looks fine to me. Any comments?
>
> You're the maintainer...

I've been holding off on making many changes to PnP at the moment,
because I have been considering replacing it with a new (more modern and
ACPI capable) ISA/LPC bridge driver. This work would likely begin after
my PCI bridge driver rewrite is finished and merged (as the PCI work is
in some ways a prerequisite).

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=111023821617705&w=2

Still, if there are changes to fix actual bugs, then I'm all for them.

Also a few features could be added. Specifically PnPBIOS
hotplug/docking station support. If anyone's interested, I may
implement it (and it would use some functions that were removed by this
patch). Furthermore, ISAPnP could be made a module. PnPBIOS probably
couldn't.

> If someone converts a protocol to be moduar, presumably they will re-add
> the needed exports to support that.

Correct.

> Are there likely to be any out-of-tree modular protocols in existence?

Not that I'm aware of.

So in short, I'd rather not remove them, because they take away from the
original design of the PnP layer.

Thanks,
Adam

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.049 / U:0.508 seconds]