From: Jan Kara [mailto:jack@suse.cz]
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 6:37 AM
To: Santosh Gupta
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: fsck error on flashcard with ext2 filesystem

Hello,

just a reminder for the next time - please keep the lines length under 80
characters.

> Detailed Description
> -----------------------------
> I am using Core Linux system on flashcard. Its another minimal linux
> distribution. Root filesystem is cramfs and a rw partition on flash is
> ext2. The system is always shutdown properly and initial fsck upon
> bootup shows no error. But if I delete a file on flash card and run
> fsck, it gives error in fsck. On umount and mounting again (or
> reboot), fsck shows no problem. Issuing "sync" command doesnt make any
> difference.
> Why is the disk not getting updated with filesystem metadata even
> after I wait for so long?
Hmm, it may be a cache aliasing issue (anyway doing fsck on a mounted
filesystem is asking for a trouble and basically nobody promisses any
result). But you may try doing something like:
sync; blockdev --flushbufs

before a fsck.

Honza

--