    SubjectRe: 2.6.11-rc3-mm1 bad scheduling while atomic + lockup
    On Tue, Feb 08 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de> wrote:
    > >
    > > > ->axboe!
    > >
    > > :-)
    > >
    > > The thing wants a rewrite. Ideally the serializing point would be a
    > > special request. The patch is still better than nothing right now, it's
    > > really easy to hang the device with hdparm in -linus since it's
    > > impossible to guess when it is safe to issue tuning actions from user
    > > space.
    >
    > I'm not sure which is worse, really. I've never hung an interface with
    > hdparm, nor seen any reports of it. Making I/O errors deadly rather hurts.

    I've gotten several reports of it, try to tune the drive settings with
    any kind of drive activity and it will barf.

    > Will it happen on all I/O errors, or was this a special case?

    Not sure, at least the crc stuff will trigger it. If you want you can
    deactivate the patch for now, I'll get it fixed properly.

    --
    Jens Axboe