SubjectRe: 2.6.11-rc3-mm1 bad scheduling while atomic + lockup
On Tue, Feb 08 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Jens Axboe <> wrote:
> >
> > > ->axboe!
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > The thing wants a rewrite. Ideally the serializing point would be a
> > special request. The patch is still better than nothing right now, it's
> > really easy to hang the device with hdparm in -linus since it's
> > impossible to guess when it is safe to issue tuning actions from user
> > space.
> I'm not sure which is worse, really. I've never hung an interface with
> hdparm, nor seen any reports of it. Making I/O errors deadly rather hurts.

I've gotten several reports of it, try to tune the drive settings with
any kind of drive activity and it will barf.

> Will it happen on all I/O errors, or was this a special case?

Not sure, at least the crc stuff will trigger it. If you want you can
deactivate the patch for now, I'll get it fixed properly.

Jens Axboe