    SubjectRe: [RFC] Reliable video POSTing on resume
    Matthew Garrett wrote:
    > On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 21:30 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
    >>I suspect the problem in that case is a compressed VBIOS. Some laptops
    >>compress the VBIOS and the system BIOS into a single ROM and then
    >>expand them at power on. Sounds like this is not happening on resume.
    >>To get around the problem copy the image from C000:0 before suspend to
    >>a place in preserved RAM where wakeup.S can find it and then copy it
    >>back to C000:0 on resume. To test for this checksum C000:0 before
    >>suspend and after and see if it has changed.
    > No, that's not what's happening. If you disassemble the code at
    > c000:blah in a laptop, you'll often find that it jumps off to a
    > completely different section of address space. During POST, that
    > contains video BIOS. After POST, it may be something like USB boot
    > support. Without reading it directly out of flash, it's not possible to
    > recover that code.

    I wonder how this can work:
    a motherboard with i815 chipset (integrated VGA), Video BIOS is
    integrated into system BIOS
    a PCI card inserted into one of the PCI slots, configured as primary in
    system BIOS

    During POST, the PCI card BIOS is initialized. I boot Windows 98SE -
    then the onboard VGA initializes and I can use 2 monitors.
    So either:
    1. The driver can initialize the onboard VGA on its own (without VGA BIOS)
    2. There is a way how to get the onboard VGA BIOS code from system BIOS

    Ondrej Zary

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.020 / U:72.200 seconds]