SubjectRe: PROBLEM: 2.6.11-rc2 hangs on bridge shutdown (br0)
On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 16:24:07 +1100
Herbert Xu <> wrote:

> This is the key to the problem.
> All of these bugs stem from the idev reference held in rtable/rt6_info.
> Anyway, this particular problem is due to IPv6 adding local addresses
> with split devices. That is, routes to local addresses are added with
> rt6i_dev set to &loopback_dev and rt6i_idev set to the idev of the
> device where the address is added.
> It also goes against the Linux philosophy where the addresses are owned
> by the host, not the interface.
> Therefore I propose the simple solution of not doing the split device
> accounting in rt6_info.

I agree with your analysis, however... this change is not sufficient.
You have to then walk over all the uses of rt6i_dev and sanitize the
cases that still expect the split semantics. For example, things like
this piece of coe in rt6_device_match():

if (dev->flags & IFF_LOOPBACK) {
if (sprt->rt6i_idev == NULL ||
sprt->rt6i_idev->dev->ifindex != oif) {
if (strict && oif)
if (local && (!oif ||
local->rt6i_idev->dev->ifindex == oif))
local = sprt;
It is just the first such thing I found, scanning rt6i_idev uses
will easily find several others.