    SubjectRe: e1000, sshd, and the infamous "Corrupted MAC on input"
    On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 10:44:14PM -0500, Ethan Weinstein wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I've been having quite a time with the e1000 driver running at gigabit
    > speeds. Running it at 100Fdx has never been a problem, which I've done
    > done for a long time. Last week I picked up a gigabit switch, and that's
    > when the trouble began. I find that transferring large amounts of data
    > using scp invariably ends up with sshd spitting out "Disconnecting:
    > Corrupted MAC on input." After deciding I must have purchased a bum
    > switch, I grabbed another model.. only to get the same error.
    > Finally, I used a crossover cable between the two boxes, which resulted
    > in the same error from sshd again.

    Well ssh isn't an especially good test as it's hard to debug.

    Try transferring large compressed files via netcat and comparing the
    results. eg:

    host1# nc -l -p 2000 > foo.bz2

    host2# nc host1 2000 < foo.bz2

    If the md5sums differ, follow up with a cmp -bl to see what changed.

    Then we can look at the failure patterns and determine if there's some
    data or alignment dependence.