    SubjectRe: ARM undefined symbols. Again.
    On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 08:23:49PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
    > On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:59:01AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Russell King wrote:
    > > > So, what's happening about this?
    > >
    > > Btw, is there any real reason why the ARM _tools_ can't just be fixed? I
    > > don't see why this isn't a tools bug?
    >
    > It is a tools bug. But the issue is that *all* versions of binutils
    > currently available which are kernel-capable (since the inclusion of
    > the kbuild .incbin requirement on binutils) have this bug, with the
    > exception of maybe CVS versions.
    >
    > We can't say "you must use the current CVS binutils to build the
    > kernel" because that's not a sane toolchain base to build products
    > on.
    >
    > I've been wanting to see a version of binutils released pretty damn
    > quick so I can say "kernel only builds with latest toolchain" but
    > I suspect even that's going to be seen as being unreasonable.

    Not sure who you asked, but since I run the binutils releases...

    I am fairly positive that this bug has been fixed in the binutils CVS:

    2004-07-02 Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com>

    * config/tc-arm.c (md_apply_fix3:BFD_RELOC_ARM_IMMEDIATE): Do not
    allow values which have come from undefined symbols.
    Always consider this fixup to have been processed as a reloc
    cannot be generated for it.

    I know several ARM kernel developers who are using tools with this
    patch applied already. Also, I anticipate the release of binutils 2.16
    including the fix in about a month.

    > And yes, the toolchain peoples point of view is "fix the kernel".

    Huh? Obviously the kernel isn't broken, unless you're talking about
    the kallsyms checks now.

    --
    Daniel Jacobowitz
    CodeSourcery, LLC