    SubjectRe: ARM undefined symbols. Again.
    On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 08:23:49PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
    > On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:59:01AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Russell King wrote:
    > > > So, what's happening about this?
    > >
    > > Btw, is there any real reason why the ARM _tools_ can't just be fixed? I
    > > don't see why this isn't a tools bug?
    > It is a tools bug. But the issue is that *all* versions of binutils
    > currently available which are kernel-capable (since the inclusion of
    > the kbuild .incbin requirement on binutils) have this bug, with the
    > exception of maybe CVS versions.
    > We can't say "you must use the current CVS binutils to build the
    > kernel" because that's not a sane toolchain base to build products
    > on.
    > I've been wanting to see a version of binutils released pretty damn
    > quick so I can say "kernel only builds with latest toolchain" but
    > I suspect even that's going to be seen as being unreasonable.

    Not sure who you asked, but since I run the binutils releases...

    I am fairly positive that this bug has been fixed in the binutils CVS:

    2004-07-02 Nick Clifton <>

    * config/tc-arm.c (md_apply_fix3:BFD_RELOC_ARM_IMMEDIATE): Do not
    allow values which have come from undefined symbols.
    Always consider this fixup to have been processed as a reloc
    cannot be generated for it.

    I know several ARM kernel developers who are using tools with this
    patch applied already. Also, I anticipate the release of binutils 2.16
    including the fix in about a month.

    > And yes, the toolchain peoples point of view is "fix the kernel".

    Huh? Obviously the kernel isn't broken, unless you're talking about
    the kallsyms checks now.

    Daniel Jacobowitz
    CodeSourcery, LLC

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.020 / U:2.072 seconds]