    SubjectRe: More latency regressions with 2.6.11-rc4-RT-V0.7.39-02
    Hugh Dickins wrote:

    >>clear_page_range is also problematic.
    >

    > Yes, I saw that from your other traces too. I know there are plans
    > to improve clear_page_range during 2.6.12, but I didn't realize that
    > it had become very much worse than its antecedent clear_page_tables,
    > and I don't see missing latency fixes for that. Nick's the expert.

    I wouldn't have thought it should have become worse, latency
    wise. What is actually happening is that the lower level freeing
    functions are being called more often. But this should result in
    the work being spread out more, if anything. Rather than in the
    old system things would tend to be batched up into bigger chunks
    (typically at exit() time).

    If you are using i386 with 2-level page tables (no highmem), then
    the behaviour should be more or less identical. Odd.

    Nick

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:5.990 / U:0.016 seconds]