    SubjectRe: Odd data corruption problem with LVM/ReiserFS
    On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 12:37:53PM +0100, Andreas Steinmetz <ast@domdv.de> wrote:
    > >Anyway, what do you guys think could be the problem? Could it be that
    > >the LVM / Device Mapper snapshot feature is solely responsible for
    > >this corruption? (I'm sure there's a reason it's marked
    > >Experimental).
    >
    > I don't think so - I changed from reiserfs to ext3 without changing the
    > underlying dm/raid5 and this seems to work properly.

    I use both reiserfs and ext3 on lvm/dm on raid.

    Both filesystems have issues when restoring from backup (i.e. very heavy
    write activity).

    I did report this to the linux kernel, and got as reply that there are
    indeed races *somewhere*, but as of yet there is no fix.

    The symptoms are _not_ I/O errors (but until I see logs I wouldn't believe
    you that there are real I/O errors), but usually too-high block numbers.

    A reboot fixes this for both ext3 and reiserfs (i.e. the error is gone).

    You might want to explore this problem and decide for yourself if it's caused
    by I/O errors (in which case you have a disk problem) or "just" filesystem
    corruption.

    --
    The choice of a