    SubjectRe: Touchpad problems with 2.6.11-rc2
    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:20:33 +0100, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz> wrote:

    > > > I see this too when I don't use the X touchpad driver. With the X
    > > > driver there is no problem. I think the problem is that mousedev.c in
    > > > the kernel has to use integer arithmetic, so probably small movements
    > > > are rounded off to 0. I'll try to come up with a fix for this.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the hint. I tried various schemes and mathematical transformations
    > > and found one which gives unquestionably the best result, with smoothest, most
    > > precise and comfortable pointer movement:
    >
    > Well, you removed the scaling to the touchpad resolution, which will
    > cause ALPS touchpad to be significantly slower than Synaptics touchpads.

    Yep, Synaptics I think has 4-5x higher resolution.

    > Similarly, the screen size used to be taken into account, but probably
    > that was a mistake, since the value is usually left at default and
    > doesn't correspond to the real screen size.

    I wonder if we should just add speed factor (along with tap distance)
    options to mousedev. Vojtech, will you take such patch? I know you
    want to drop mousedev and have everyone use evdev but, although people
    started switching, it will not happen until distributions (or
    XOrg/XFree themselves) have these drivers available straight out of
    the box.

    --
    Dmitry