SubjectRe: ALSA HELP: Crackling and popping noises with via82xx
On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:34:59PM -0500, Timothy Miller wrote:
> Basically, I get random poppling and crackling noises out of my
> speakers. Sometimes it's silent, and sometimes, it crackles and pops
> for minutes at a time. It's really disturbing, really, because it
> happens suddenly, sometimes very loudly, and usually when I'm
> concentrating. :)

The few times I've used the via82xx on my mobo (ASUS KT400, forget the
model number), I've run into some applications that behave similarly.
I never got it randomly - it always happened when an app (ie, xmms)
would open the device and think it was in 44.1kHz when it was really
running at 48kHz.

I do music work on my box, so I've gotta stick with ALSA, but I've
found for common stuff the ALSA interfaces suck pretty bad - nothing
seems to know how to open the devices properly. As a result, I mostly
use OSS emulation for non-music related things - Frank Barknecht has
info at http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=DmixPlugin on setting
this up. Runing all my audio through that fixes the problem, since it
just resample everything to the running rate.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross@lug.udel.edu

man in the bonds of Hell."

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:1.068 / U:0.008 seconds]