    SubjectRe: [patch, 2.6.11-rc2] sched: RLIMIT_RT_CPU_RATIO feature
    From
    On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 05:59:54PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
    > Actually, JACK probably is the most sophisticated media *framework* on
    > the planet, at least inasmuch as it connects ideas drawn from the
    > media world and OS research/design into a coherent package. Its not
    > perfect, and we've just started adding new data types to its
    > capabilities (its actually relatively easy). But it is amazingly
    > powerful in comparison to anything offered to data, and is
    > unencumbered by the limitations that have affected other attempts to
    > do what it does.

    This is a bit off topic, but I'm interested in applications that are
    more driven by time and has abstraction closer to that in a pure way.
    A lot of audio kits tend to be overly about DSP and not about time.
    This is difficult to explain, but what I'm referring to here is ideally
    the next generation these applications and their design, not the current
    lot. A lot more can be done.

    > And it makes possible some of the most sophisticated *audio* apps on
    > the planet, though admittedly not video and other data at this time.

    Again, the notion of time based processing with broader uses and not
    just DSP which what a lot of current graph driven audio frameworks
    seem to still do at this time. Think gaming audio in 3d, etc...

    I definitely have ideas on this subject and I'm going to hold my
    current position on this matter in that we can collectively do much
    better.

    bill

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:3.599 / U:0.644 seconds]