    SubjectRe: Please open sysfs symbols to proprietary modules
    On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 07:07:21PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
    > On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Greg KH wrote:
    > >On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 03:23:30PM -0800, Patrick Mochel wrote:
    > >>
    > >>What is wrong with creating a (GPL'd) abstraction layer that exports
    > >>symbols to the proprietary modules?
    > >
    > >Ick, no!
    > >
    > >Please consult with a lawyer before trying this. I know a lot of them
    > >consider doing this just as forbidden as marking your module
    > >MODULE_LICENSE("GPL"); when it really isn't.
    >
    > There will be a GPL'd layer, and it's likely that sysfs interaction will
    > be on the GPL'd side anyway, for purely technical reasons. But it does
    > feel like circumvention of the limitations set in the kernel.

    It is. And as such, it is not allowed.

    > I thought it would be polite to ask the developers to lift those
    > limitations, considering that they seem unfair and inconsistent with
    > the stated purpose of EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL.

    No, the stated purpose of that marking is to prevent non-GPLd code from
    using those symbols. I don't see how you can state that using sysfs
    files in your driver does not make it a "derived work" and force you to
    make all of your driver GPL.

    I suggest that you consult your company's lawyers for what to do here.

    Good luck,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.022 / U:29.416 seconds]