SubjectRe: Please open sysfs symbols to proprietary modules
Hi, Greg and Patrick!

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Greg KH wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 03:23:30PM -0800, Patrick Mochel wrote:
>>
>> What is wrong with creating a (GPL'd) abstraction layer that exports
>> symbols to the proprietary modules?
>
> Ick, no!
>
> Please consult with a lawyer before trying this. I know a lot of them
> consider doing this just as forbidden as marking your module
> MODULE_LICENSE("GPL"); when it really isn't.

There will be a GPL'd layer, and it's likely that sysfs interaction will
be on the GPL'd side anyway, for purely technical reasons. But it does
feel like circumvention of the limitations set in the kernel. I thought
it would be polite to ask the developers to lift those limitations,
considering that they seem unfair and inconsistent with the stated
purpose of EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL.

Sorry for using my gnu.org address. I'll use my rajant.com address for
further questions about that project.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin